Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Just 27 more days to go!!!

So, we are leaving NJ in just 27 days for 4 Paws for Ability!!!  We're so excited. :) We have our hotel reservations, thanks to my brother Matt, and our dog crate thanks to my friend, Karen.  Allison and I went to PetSmart the other day to pick up some stuff.  Do you have any idea how much "stuff" is out there for a dog??  I did not!  This was like walking into Babies R Us registering for my baby shower.  The only difference was I knew exactly what I was looking at and what I needed/wanted for a baby. :) 

As we wandered through the aisles looking at the gazillion things to pick from, Allison was insistent on purchasing pink things for our "girl dog just like me".  I managed to navigate her to more generic dog things like a red frisbee and ball.  I finally broke it to her that the dog may not be a girl, and if it's a boy it may not like a pink, sparkly collar with jewels.  She seemed unaffected by this because by this time we were on our way to her Halloween Parade.  I'm sure this isn't the last of the pink collar issue.

Last week somebody sent us the link to the 4 Paws In-Training site.  http://4pawsdogs.org/in_training.htm  WOW!!  I couldn't get over all of these beautiful pups and dogs just waiting to meet their new forever friend.  :)  This made our experience 100% more real and that much more exciting!  One of these dogs will be Zachary's!!  The service dogs have been "matched" as young as 10 months and as old as 3 years-old...it's not about their age but rather when they are completely ready for their job.  Zachary and Allison had fun looking at all of the pictures.  Zachary kept asking if "today is Thanksgiving" as we told him that we were going to get his dog after Thanksgiving.  Allison, of course, wanted to know which dogs were girls like her! (God help me!) 

It's going to be a busy but fun few weeks leading up to our trip to Ohio.  God willing, it will be a mild two weeks while we're out there.  Joe just broke the news to me that I'll need to be buy "real boots" as opposed to pretty ones since we'll be outside a lot for the Tracking component of our training.    We're hoping to get our "match" from 4 Paws very soon so Zachary will know exactly which dog is his.  I'll let you know when we have our "match".  Happy Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment